The first step in creating Dynamic Pages is to define a collection. Collections are similar to databases in that they contain lists of items that have the same type of information (name, location, image, and so on). Every site can have up to 100 collections.
For example, a collection might contain information about properties available to rent:
|Property Name||Square Feet||# of Rooms||Price||Location||Image||Page_Item_url|
|Property A||2000||3||500,000||Tempe, Arizona||URL||property_a|
|Property B||1000||1||200,000||Denver, Colorado||URL||property_b|
|Property C||1500||2||300,000||London, UK||URL||property_c|
You can create many types of collections:
All collections should adhere to the following:
- The first row of the collection should contain the field names (for example, Number of Rooms).
- Data should be structured correctly based on the data type.
- For Airtable and Google Sheets, you should have a text field named page_item_url- which defines the URL of each page item and appears in the editor drop down. If this field is not defined, page URLs are assigned numbers (Google Sheets) or a random string (Airtable).
- To use Business hours you must use the following specific structure in a text field:
SAT, SUN: 08:00-20:00; THU, FRI: 08:00-12:00;
- To use Location you must use the following specific structure in a text field:
String - streetAddress, postalCode, region, city, country
577 College Ave, 94306, CA, Palo Alto, US
The geo location is calculated from this string, the postal code is not mandatory but if the address is not written correctly (typos for example) we might not find it.
To create a collection:
- In the left panel, click Content, click Collections, and then click + New Collection.
- Select the type of collection you want to create.
- Connect to the collection.
- Define the correct data type for each field.
- Click Done.
The new collection shows up in the Collection Panel. The next step is to create or convert a Dynamic Page so you can connect it to your newly created Collection.