The mobile header has a fixed design, and cannot be customized. To change the content of the mobile header:
- On the top navigation bar, click Mobile view & edit.
- Click the content in the header to edit.
There are three types of headers available—flexible, fixed, and shrinking.
In order to customize a header, it must be turned into a flexible header by turning the header into a row. In most templates, the header is a row by default. However, in certain older templates, the header is fixed with limited customization options. Templates with fixed headers typically include certain widgets, such as social media links or a phone number in the header by default. However, these widgets are fixed and cannot be moved like widgets in normal rows. By turning the header into a row, you can add or edit widgets in the header.
To set a header to be flexible and convert the header into a row:
- Hover over the header, and click Header.
- On the Content tab, click the Convert header to a row toggle.
In most new templates, the header is a row by default, so you are only likely to run into this issue when using older templates that still have fixed headers.
In some of our older templates, headers are fixed. This means that the header contains the logo, navigation, social icons and text, but is locked and cannot be customized by adding widgets from the Widgets section.
The Shrinking Header is a smaller version of the site header, enabling you to keep important navigation information fixed without distracting users as they scroll down a page and without taking up too much space. It acts as a sticky header feature but condenses the size of the logos and other widgets in your header. It is particularly useful in sites that have large headers and sites that are designed for long scrolling.
The shrinking header is available on Desktop and Tablet views. Shrinking headers can only be toggled when the header is turned into a row. If the header is not a row and the template has a fixed header, the shrinking header option is not available.
For more information on how to configure shrinking headers, see Shrinking Headers.
To change the header layout:
- Hover over the header and click Header.
- On the Design tab, select a new header layout. Switching to one of these layouts changes fixed headers into flexible headers. Using pre-designed headers helps save time in designing your site. You can always select a layout and then modify it afterward.
To make a header sticky, hover over the header, click Header, and select Set As Sticky Header. The header becomes static and stays in place when you scroll through pages in your site.
To hide a header on a page:
- Hover over the bottom of the header, and click Header.
- Click Hide page header on, and select the device you want the header hidden on.
If the header contains one image, the logo of the site will be kept when moving between header layouts. In the case there is more than one image, or the logo is textual, the logo image is kept as in the layout.
If you delete the logo, re-add the image by dragging the image element back into the header, and set the link to go back to the homepage. For more information, see Add Images.
Other Header Options
There are other header options available in the design menu, which let you further customize the look of your header.
To access the header design menu, hover over the header, click Header, and then click the Design tab.
To display header items above hero images, click Overlap first row. This gives your hero images more visibility and makes it easier to design great-looking, trendy sites. Keep the following in mind:
- For the header. Set the background color to transparent, or a color with opacity.
- For the first row. Use top padding that is equal to or similar to the height of the header.
When switching to a new header layout that contains social icons, the icons are displayed as defined in the content library. If there are no social links, the social icons are kept generic as in the layout.